I don’t know if this is a me thing or if this is an everybody thing but- say it’s a Saturday and I’ve got a friend coming at 2 o’clock – can I be productive in the hours leading up to the Fateful Meeting? Do I get things done? Do I fill every minute with 60 seconds worth of distance run? Do I not only seize the day, but seize the hour! The minute! The second!
No. The answer is no. I browse the internet. I surf. I dawdle. I while away the hours, my brain consumed with the upcoming time when Things Will Happen. I am incapacitated. I am held in stasis. I cannot function.
In short, I have Something Happening that day and nothing else will happen until that something has happened.
I suppose the answer is a change of mindset. Being aware of the problem is surely half way to solving it, isn’t it? Anyway, I digress:
On the subject of Things Happening …
THINGS THAT HAVE HAPPENED:
- I walked some of Hadrian’s Wall. It was a perfect hoot. I am now a weathered outdoorswoman.
- I slept in a tent for three nights and let me tell you, I was a Princess and the entire ground was made of peas that first night. I tossed and turned and was as anxious as a YA heroine caught up in love triangle.
- Nebuchadnezzar AKA the guppy whose name I could never spell – is dead. Deceased. No more. It’s pretty horrible and I’m quite upset. Also: I can’t find his body.
- I have the proofs for a Most Irregular Prophecy and have held my book child in my hands.
THINGS HAPPENING SOON:
- A Suffragist Abroad AKA A Most Irregular Prophecy is having a cover reveal and POSSIBLY A RELEASE DATE??? (I AM EXCITEMENT) (I always have to double check that spelling as I live in horror and dread of accidentally writing: ‘I am excrement’)
- Our Intrepid Heroine is having a facelift AKA a cover reveal.
- I’m going through some personal life changes which are … exciting and yet also terrifying.
- An existential post-quarter-life-crisis will probably loom. (Pop that in your diary.)
- But mainly: bookish things should be happening
- I’ve ordered a new pair of reading glasses