I haven’t finished a Dickens yet but I’m on the way. I’m a couple of chapters in and actually … I’m really enjoying it. Dickens writes well – who knew?
(Me. I should have done.)
- Canada – came home in July
- England – home
- Moldova – taught for three months
- Various Airports – Vienna, Frankfurt etc
- Gotham – not yET BECAUSE 1) HOW DANGEROUS WOULD THAT BE AND ALSO 2) IT’S FICTIONAL. LIFE IS HARD.
It has been a bad year for my writing, to be honest. No books have been finished. A handful of short stories have been completed. One or two have been submitted to competitions. (One honourable mention, but that was all.)
In short: for someone who considers herself to be a writer … I’ve done a poor job of being one.
But on the plus side, I’ve really started to deep dive into the ‘behind the scenes of writing’. Usually, I just go by instinct: sit down, and write. BOOM! Story done. (Or not.) But now … I’m really pondering what goes on with characters, with plot, heck – even with grammar. It’s really fascinating and for the first time in a long time I’m getting excited about writing.
I’ve always been excited about stories and consuming them but writing? Yeah. I’m a bit chuffed and looking forward to what I can do in the New Year.
This was always going to be more successful than my writing. Goodreads lists only a fraction of what I’ve actually read. I’m kind of awful that way.
I’ve read a lot more factual books this year – and I’m glad that I did. Particular highlights were a book on the history of China and a history of eclipses (I really enjoyed that one!)
- haven’t solved any murders
- haven’t captured a dragon (and trained it. obvs)
- haven’t fulfilled my destiny and brought about MAJOR prison reform (I shouldn’t have read Narconomics, should I? NO RAGRATS!)
- haven’t learned how to function without spell check
- haven’t become a black belt in ballroom dancing (this was never an ambition but I haven’t done it so I thought I should list it here.)
what i hope for the next year …
- more writing projects completed (maybe a novel! Maybe several short stories!)
- finish teaching in Moldova
- find a job back home (post-Brexit BAHAHAHAHA. Oh gosh. So doomed.)
- learn how to say ‘no’ to things (it’s harder than you’d think.)
- more blog posts per month
happy reading, God bless, and happy new year, everyone!
also, if anyone has read a dickens this year then … please let me know which one it was and what did you think and what was your favourite quote etc etc ALSO HOW WAS YOUR YEAR?????